Bell’s palsy and cannabis treatment

Bell’s Palsy is a temporary paralysis of one side of the face, with symptoms ranging from drooping eyelids and slurred speech to vision loss or uneven eye movement. While Bell’s Palsy can take up to 72 hours to manifest, it can linger for weeks or months. According to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), Bell’s Palsy is an exceptionally rare, little-known condition that affects approximately 40,000 people between the ages of 15 and 45.

The Bell’s Palsy: Understanding

Bell’s Palsy is a condition that can be caused by several conditions including pregnancy, preeclampsia, hypertension, and diabetes. It is generally believed that the illness will heal on its own within three weeks for up to 85% of patients and that steroids and other antiviral medicines can be used to treat the remaining 15% of patients. The most common causes of Bell’s Palsy are viral infections. The symptoms include a rapid onset of total paralysis on one side of the face, drooling, a headache, loss of taste, and jaw discomfort, according to the Mayo Clinic. Occasionally Bell’s Palsy is linked to specific viral illnesses. Herpes, serious respiratory diseases.

Medical marijuana and Bell’s Palsy

There is presently little evidence demonstrating that medical marijuana may be used to treat Bell’s Palsy, but what has been learned is promising. According to a 2017 Cannabis Magazine article, several cannabis components have neuroprotective antioxidants and anti-inflammatory qualities. Medical cannabis, according to the text, helps to alleviate headaches and pain, two symptoms of Bell’s Palsy. The report does not claim that medicinal cannabis cures Bell’s Palsy, but it does suggest that “many people with comparable diseases, such as cerebral palsy and multiple sclerosis, report symptom relief from medical marijuana.”

According to Cerebral Palsy Guidance, both a 2007 and 2014 medical cannabis study proved that it helped with muscular spasms in persons with multiple sclerosis and cerebral palsy. The additional evidence is that anti-inflammatory medications found in CBD and pain relief provided by THC might be used to treat Bell’s Palsy, which causes communication difficulties and discomfort.

As recently reported in a news article, several states have now approved medical cannabis as a treatment for spastic quadriplegia. In the meantime, the Minnesota Department of Health has requested that several studies be presented to the Medical Cannabis Review Panel so that the panel can consider expanding the list of therapeutic indications for CBD. Two mononeuropathy diseases mentioned in the review are carpal tunnel syndrome and Bell’s palsy. 

Further study and clinical trials are necessary before we can determine whether cannabinoids are beneficial in the treatment of brief paralysis caused by Bell’s palsy. However, further investigations reveal that such drugs could be useful in treating the condition.

*DigiDrs is not offering this as professional medical advice. Do not attempt to self diagnose, or prescribe treatment based on the information provided in these pages. Consult a physician before making decisions on the treatment of any of these medical conditions.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This